Ahead of his debut graphic novel, Cloud Town, Daniel McCloskey tells us his cartoonist origin story.
A Beat Comics Original:
Welcome to Fail to Quit, a six part webcomic by Daniel McCloskey that shows how a dyslexic kid on the verge of failing English went to college for writing and eventually got a book deal.
Cloud Town, his debut graphic novel, comes out in April from Abrams’ Amulet line. He created this short series of autobio comics to tell the story of how Cloud Town came to be, and we’re proud to publish them for the first time here on The Beat.
McCloskey is the founder of the Cyberpunk Apocalypse writers project, and an employee at Mission Comics in San Francisco. He’s also a second generation cartoonist: his father is Toon Books author Kevin McCloskey.
He notes that today, February 2nd, is World Read Aloud Day, an event which “calls attention to the importance of sharing stories by challenging participants to grab a book, find an audience, and read-aloud!” In that spirit, McCloskey dedicates this first strip to his 6th Grade teacher (spoiler for a future installment.)
So here exclusively is the first installment of Fail to Quit.
Daniel McCloskey can be found at @beancandan on most social media if you’d like to tag me.
You can order Daniel’s debut graphic novel, Cloud Town, from your local comic book retailer, and ask about the extra goodies available at danielmccloskey.com/store-owner-portal
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
- Advertising slots are available right now for the Beat.
- We have several sizes to fit every budget.
- Top banner: 728 px wide x 90 px high
- Site Wrapper – spec available on request. Available in one week slots.
- Top Sidebar Boombox: 300 px wide x 250 px high
- Large Sidebar Boombox: 300 px wide x 600 px high
- Sidebar classified: 125 x 125 px
- All ads should be either jpgs or animated gifs. Rates are available upon request. Email [email protected] for more info. Schedules also available.